- Swimming, wading and fishing in the Sabinal River. FoxFire has a really nice swimming hole as well as shallower spots for younger kids to enjoy!
- At the Main Area with the cabins there is a basketball goal, volleyball net, horse shoes, and playground for children.
- You may also enjoy rock or fossil hunting along the banks of the river.
- During the day, a variety of birds and wildlife can be seen and on clear nights our dark skies are filled with stars!
- Some folks like to just relax under a shade tree with a good book, while enjoying the view of the surrounding hills.
- Roasting marshmallows around a campfire at night.
- Motorcyclists and bicyclists alike have found FoxFire to be a great base camp when planning a few days of riding in the Hill Country!
- While there are no TV’s or Telephones in our Log Cabins, we now have WIFI at the Main Area here at FoxFire!
- Reunions and Clubs are welcome. Stay a week and get your 8th night free!
Our offsite vacation homes each have there own attractions as well as some or all of the things above. They vary from property to property, so call or email us if you have specific questions about our other locations!
There are many other Activities and Attractions in the Area
- Lost Maples State Natural Area is just 1 mile from the FoxFire Cabins Main Area. One of the most beautiful State Parks in the area, it offers miles of hiking trails as well as fishing, wading and some swimming.
- Garner State Park along the banks of the Frio River may be the most well know State Park in Texas. It is about 35 minutes from FoxFire!
- Hill Country State Natural Area outside of Bandera is a place for horseback riding and/or mountain biking. This park is just under an hour from FoxFire.
- There are several other State Parks for those that wish to venture a little farther. Visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife Homepage for a complete listing and more information.
In the immediate Vanderpool and Utopia area you can find the following!
- Geocaching – High Tech scavenger hunting using GPS. There are many caches in this area and hunting and finding them can be fun for the whole family. There are also apps available for iphones, etc. that will help you on your next hunt.
- Lonestar Motorcycle Museum is right down the road from FoxFire Cabins. They have a unique showroom of antique motorcycles as well a great little café that’s open on the weekends.
- Arrowhead Hunting – There is now a place in Vanderpool just minutes from FoxFire Cabins where you can pay to hunt arrowheads on private property. Years ago this area was a prime location for Indian camps with its abundant food and water and now you can look for your own Indian artifacts. Call TJ Jennings at 830.688.1669 for more information or to set up a “dig”!!
- Imagine Lavendar Farm in Vanderpool is beautiful farm where in the spring you can pick your own lavender, enjoy there onsite store and if even have a picnic.
- Some folks just like to spend and afternoon riding around and enjoying some of the most scenic drives in the Texas Hill Country. We have some of the highest peaks, steepest inclines and roughest canyons found in the Hill country right here!
The surrounding area offers many other activities that are easy day trips!
- Tubing or kayaking the Frio River is a favorite from many folks. The Medina River also offers these activities and is usually a little less crowded. FoxFire is between these two popular locations, about 30 to 40 minutes from either.
- Summer Rodeos & Horseback Riding – There are many rodeos in the area during the summer. A great opportunity to take the kids to their first rodeo. Twin Elm Guest Ranch in Bandera has one every Friday night and offers horseback riding. The Utopia Rodeo is June 24th & 25th. You may also enjoy taking your kids to Utopia Horse Club on Monday nights at the Utopia Park. This is where many local youngsters first learn how to ride horses! Elm Creek Stables near Garner State Park also is a good place to ride horses.
- Hill Country Adventures – Hill Country Adventures between Utopia and Garner State Park offers many activities including Bat Flight Tours, Campfire Cowboy Story Telling, Birding and Kayaking trips, Champion Big Tree Tour as well as other things. This is a good opportunity to see some pretty country in the Texas Hill Country.
- Golfing – There are several nice golf courses nearby. Utopia Golf in Utopia is the closest to FoxFire. Only 9 holes, but nice and good place to take your kids. This is where the upcoming movie “Seven Days in Utopia” was filmed featuring Robert Duvall, Lucas Black, Melissa Leo and others. When the movie comes out in August 2011 you can say you played at that golf course!! The Club at Concan is a Championship 18 Hole golf course. It also has a spa for the ladies if they don’t golf! Bandera, Kerrville, and Comfort also all have nice golf courses and lots of shopping as well.
You may wish to plan your trip to FoxFire around one of the following Festivals or Events in the area as well!
- The Utopia Music Festival is a fairly new event that takes place in the Fall. Growing in size and popularity, it offers a weekend of entertaining music on a private ranch outside Utopia which makes for a very special backdrop for the event!
- On the evening of the 4th of July, you can witness one of the most spectacular Fireworks show in Utopia. Although in a small town, the fireworks are larger than life! Get a spot early though, because the town of Utopia will fill up with people from all around. Note – Due to the severe drought this year, the fireworks have been cancelled unless we get substantial rain.
- The Medina Apple Festival is a week long event during the summer and offers a variety of fun activities for people of all ages. Medina is about 25 minutes from FoxFire.
- The House Pasture Cattle Company in Con Can offers a summer music series with great music every weekend.
- These are just a few of the events that take place over the course of a year. There are several other fairs, festivals, and celebrations in addition to these!
Note on the Drought
The Texas Hill Country is experiencing one of the worst droughts it has ever been through. We are praying for rain as we desperately need it. We know the rivers and water activities are a huge attraction for our summer guests and we definitely appreciate your business. But there are several other things other than river activities as listed above that we recommend and/or enjoy. Here are a couple more things you might enjoy or may not have thought of.
Lonestar Lagoon at Flying L Guest Ranch – A very nice little water park on the Flying L Guest Ranch in Bandera about 40 minutes from FoxFire. They also have golf, putt-putt, and horseback riding at the Flying L.
San Antonio – If you are coming from a good distance away and would like to visit some of the theme parks in San Antonio, FoxFire is an easy day trip away only about 1.5 hours. Fiesta Texas and Sea World are both in San Antonio and a day trip to one of these parks is very doable from FoxFire.
These are just a few things you may not have thought of. The swimming hole at FoxFire is still good right now, but we do need rain desperately. But even during these driest of times, we want you to know that our area still has things to offer. Even if it’s just looking for crawdads or turtles in a drying up stream or stargazing at night with our very dark skies or enjoying some of the most scenic drives in the Hill Country! Again, we appreciate you business and still want to help you have the most enjoyable stay at FoxFire as possible!